Finding Vivian Maier: A Reflection

    I've always been enamored with biographies, whether they be fictional or historical, and Finding Vivian Maier was a wonderful film encapsulating both. There was the history of Maier, in her photos, her hoard of newspapers, her seemingly mundane films and recordings, evidence she left behind. Then there's the interviews, more open to doubt, but just as revealing to Maier's character and less open to interpretation. For me, the most moving scene to me was the very ending. Maier's self-portrait develops in the dark room, and as the music slows, Maier's voice-over accepts that everything comes to an end to let new people take their places. I was moved to pain or shock, but contentment. Even though Vivian has passed, her works speak of her passion and empathy, beloved by admirers of her stunning photography. It also felt somewhat encouraging: nothing lasts forever, whether it be people or art, but that does not mean we should hold back from expressing ourselves. Perhaps generations beyond our years will find whatever we left behind, and they too will be spurned into creative expression.
      Nothing in the film truly surprised me; I already imagined that Maier was a reticent, private woman for most of her life. If anything, I was more surprised that the director of the film, John Maloof, could uncover so much of Maier's personality and life, only for Maier to still remain largely enigmatic. I was still impressed by Maloof's keen skill in piecing together Maier's life, even pinpointing her connection to a small French village by the Alps. It was such an obscure detail, yet not only did Maloof uncover the village, he visited it and met with one of Maier's cousins.
     I have no questions pertaining to the film. I wonder only if Vivian Maier's pictures will gain acceptance in the larger art world. While her photos have garnered a massive reception, her photography haven't made a spot in art history. I will definitely keep an eye on news about Maier in the future. As for feelings after the film, I only feel that contentment from earlier of a work well done. I feel like this whenever I create a story or finish an essay that I'm proud of. I guess it's simple joy in creation and the arts, so it's reasonable I'd feel that way after watching Finding Vivian Maier. To me, that augments to the inclusive, human connection of Maier's photography.


Comments

  1. I believe your reflection touched on some really great life lessons that many other documentaries do not get a chance to explore. I enjoyed the route you took with this reflection focusing on life because many other people did not do that; it was refreshing. The photos explained seem very interesting, and I would love to check out the film for myself because I have always been an admirer of photography. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment