Scaredycat: Reflection

Scaredycat: Reflection
Brief and austere, Scaredycat hits hard through its haunting melody, grim cinematography, and personal narratives. I rewound several sections of the film just to pinpoint certain details eliciting solemnity and concern in me, the viewer, making Scaredycat not only a powerful study, but also a thought-provoking experience. I am familiar with documentaries, but Scaredycat is one of the rare narratives usually lacking in these types of films. Though I encourage objective documentaries, often am I left wanting for a more personal film exploring a facet or the personality of an individual. Andy Blubaugh presents a short film exploring his irrationality in the aftermath of trauma, and I was fascinated and invested in his progression.
Blubaugh sets a solemn, almost lonely mood from the first minutes: a simple bell and xylophone tune hint at damage, and the close-ups of Blubaugh’s compulsions left a chill in me. While the crude animations did distill some of that eeriness, the puppet-like movement ended up working in Scaredycat’s favor. Perhaps I attribute too much meaning to the style, but it reinforces that zombie-like fugue described by Blubaugh. Restless and anxious, he shambles in stagnation, justifying a racist approach to avoid danger. He adjusts magazines, aligns footsteps, and corrects paintings to gratify himself into believing he is keeping himself safe. Seeing a black man in the train, he hastily departs at the next step. Blubaugh voices the irrationality of his fears most powerfully through small details, and I felt sympathy.
            Scaredycat feels almost tragic; we live in a society that, no matter its social progress, will always host unwarranted, unpredictable violence. Still, as Andy’s mother notes, life will always have its dangers, and to live in constant paranoia is irrational. Andy eventually reconciles with his fear by realizing its blatant senselessness and racism, and the film ends with him sitting in no apparent discomfort on the train again.

Reviewing this film, I felt its strongest moments were in the minutiae of camera angles and close-ups. While I enjoyed the voiceovers from Snowden, the district officer, and Hawkin, the psychologist, Andy’s thought process struck as the most memorable. Since this film is an in-depth analysis of Blubaugh in a dark period, I believe it reinforced the sincerity of his paranoia. Scaredycat is an enjoyable and emotional experience, and it left me thinking of the things and habits I cling to for no other reason but security.

Comments