Technical Writing As I Anticipated

Ever since we finished the signage project, we've started to focus on the actual jargon of technical writing. This is in no way a critique of how the class is structured: I thought we would focus solely on this type of material. Since I'm pursuing a business major, with the idea of either minoring in English (or perhaps a master's degree down the line), I thought some experience with technical writing would prove beneficial. Reports, letter, forms: the type of documentation characteristic of an office setting. But now that we've started this unit of the course, I can't help but miss the creativity of storytelling and intelligent design. Hopefully we can unite both aspects of technical writing as the course proceeds, because, quite frankly, the contrast is somewhat jarring.
Also, the reading assignments for chapters 14 and 17 are decidedly dull and lengthy. I shouldn't put them off as much as I am. It's just hard to work up enthusiasm for the subject material.

Comments