Working on the Procedural Rhetoric

I've wrapped up my Procedural Rhetoric presentation and draft, so I might as well reflect on it before my presentation. Our project this time fits more in line of my expectations of Technical Writing; we were assigned to create an instructional guide on how to complete any task we were fit to instruct.
Frankly, I am not a handy person, so once more, I spent most of my time figuring out what to do for this assignment.
(Making decisions has never been a strong point of mine.)
I wanted to write a procedure on how to make a journal, but due to the impracticality-- why would anyone want to learn how to do this?-- I decided to write about something else.
Another obstacle was obtaining the supplies for this assignment-- I am a college student in the US of 2018, therefore, I must cut corners to get by.
I decided to inform the class on how to use Huskies Get Hired, NIU's truncated form of LinkedIn. I've only used it occasionally, but it has helped me earn a minor internship, so I have some credibility on its utility.
It's been a breeze drafting the document and creating the Power Point, so that's been great!
Unfortunately, I have learned that formatting a Word document to my liking is the bane of my existence. I want to include a type of 'banner' on the side to put the pictures in, then have the text on the left.
The frustration this has caused me is immeasurable at this point.
Putting in pictures in any online document is annoying. Doesn't matter if it's Google Drive or Microsoft Word; it's an awful experience, and I hate doing it.
Custom formatting a page with a banner with text, subtitles, and the dreaded pictures?
I spent too many hours trying to arrange everything, only for the banner to shift on to the next page, messing up the order of everything.
Or worse, the banner and all the information on it somehow vanishes behind the following page.
Why is that a feature? (Microsoft, fix this please!)
I tried to get around all the awkward formatting by typing up all of the Procedural Rhetoric on a separate document, then copying and pasting it on the final version.
It is about as time-consuming as you'd expect.
Thankfully, I'm almost done and will hopefully never have to do this again in the future.
Ironic how the one trying to ensure quality user experience is suffering from its absence.

Comments